This is my go to recipe when I have people over, because it’s so easy to make, light, and people feel cared for when you put a lot of colorful plates in front of them. It means you worked hard for it. It’s not necessarily the case in this case (I should make bad puns for a living). Anyway, fajitas !
The recipe is pretty simple, unless you’re planning to make your own tortillas, that’s another story (and maybe a recipe for later who knows, I’ve been making my own bread these past few days soo..). Sure you can use the pre-made sauce, and the pre-made flavoring you find on the bag, but you don’t actually need it, there’s enough flavors in all the ingredients below.
If you like extra flavors, you can marinate your chicken in a little bit of lemon, olive oil, paprika, cumin salt and pepper, and leave it to rest in the refrigerator. Too much sauce doesn’t sit well with my stomach, especially when combined with peppers, so I keep it lighter by replacing all of that with mustard.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 gold pep.. (nah I’m kidding)
- Bay leaves
- Olive oil
- 250 g chicken (or turkey, or no meat is also an excellent choice)
- 2 avocadoes
- Some cherry tomatoes
- Parsley & Cilantro
- 1 bag of tortillas (the ones you like)
- 1 bag of tortilla chips (same thing)
- Grated cheese (you got at this point that it’s whatever strikes your fancy)
- Start with your chicken that you’re gonna rinse and put in clean water with half a lemon juice and some vinegar, I like to put my lemon inside the bowl as well, just to keep things extra fresh. Put it in the fridge while you’re preparing other things.
- Cut your peppers in strips and put them in your biggest pan with a little olive oil, salt & pepper and bay leaves. Let them cook for a while on low, you need them to soften and not burn right away. It’s gonna take approximately half an hour for them to start shrinking.
- Rinse out your chicken and douse it in mustard, cook it in a separate pan, also on low.
- Make your guacamole by squashing two ripe avocados (you only need a fork), cherry tomatoes cut in tiny pieces, salt & pepper, cilantro & parsley, and some lemon juice.
- When your peppers are done, throw in the chicken and stir a little.
- Reheat your tortillas in the microwave, or use a flat pan. If you’re using the pan be quick, you don’t want them to grill.
- Grate your cheese, put your chips in a bowl and you’re done !
- See how easy that was ?
Let me know if you made some ! Have a nice day guys <3